Heater Squeal

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Heater Squeal

Post by sjacoby »

Hello, I live in Ontario where the climate is very cold in the winter. The one thing I love about my Crew is its amazing heater and effective heated seats. For a few weeks now, when I start my truck on a cold morning and turn my heater to the 3 and 4 fan settings I have a terrible squealing noice for a few minutes and then it stops and my blower works normally. Just wondering what this is, and how I can fix it before it stops working all together. It is a 2002 crew.
Thanks,
Shawn
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Heater Squeal

Post by HenryJ »

The heater fan blower motor will need to be replaced soon.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

Where can I access the blower motor? Is this a pricey part?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

sjacoby wrote:Where can I access the blower motor? Is this a pricey part?
I don't know how this will convert to your prices but, you have several choices on Rock Auto.com
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

The blower motor is under the hood, on the pass side of the firewall. Youll need to take out the inner fenderwell to replace it, so it takes a bit of time but not hard to do. Also there is most likely an insulation blanket in the form of a thick rubber cover over it, youll need to cut it out where its labled to take the motor out.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

For what its worth my blower motor has been squeaking since I bought this truck in 09. It still works to this day, 70+k later. I leave the blower on all the time when the truck is running though, but in the #1 setting, unless of course I actually need it for heating or AC. If I dont keep it on upper or lower with the fan going low it gets too hot in there in the summer and too stuffy in the fall and spring.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Heater Squeal

Post by raven2510 »

AVTekk wrote:The blower motor is under the hood, on the pass side of the firewall. Youll need to take out the inner fenderwell to replace it, so it takes a bit of time but not hard to do. Also there is most likely an insulation blanket in the form of a thick rubber cover over it, youll need to cut it out where its labled to take the motor out.
No you don't. Did mine without taking the inner fender out.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

The change is quite easy in the 2002. I did mine last summer as mine was having the exact same issue. The change took about 15 minutes. I went to an auto wrecker and got a used one out of another S-10. Cost was $25.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Mines still squealing away. Im waiting for it to fail to change it. Worst thing that happens is all 4 windows still go down, and my seats are heated.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ