Extending the range of the keyless entry

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Extending the range of the keyless entry

Post by HenryJ »

This one came from ZR2USA.com: Keyless entry range fix

I tried it and this one is a must do!

Added to our mod pages: Extended Range Keyless Entry Antenna
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

As I said there, this is a Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Man I think I'm done, then BINGO, another mod. Thanks to all you electro-gurus out there, atta boy Moose. :wink:
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This really is something they should have done from the factory. My remote was nearly useless. It would usually only work within ten feet or so from the truck.
I nearly bought an aftermarket remote starter for the extended range. This mod has changed my mind about that.

It cost nothing and took about twenty minutes to complete, including scrounging up the wire and tools.

It easily tripled the range. I have only a quick check done with it sitting in the driveway thus far. No way would it ever work from inside the house. It does now!

I now plan to pop the cover on the wireless receiver for the cargo box lights. They were a little weak in receiving. Maybe I can do this for them Image

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I got a question ? Who do you know that can open their truck door and get in from further than the door handle ? :?: :roll: :hehe:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:I got a question ? Who do you know that can open their truck door and get in from further than the door handle ?
Nobody, including the thief who is helping himself when it did not lock as I ran for the doors of the fire station.

You don't have to use the keyless entry. You can unlock and it manually.

In my case I need quick access. Running out the door during a general alarm I like to have the door unlocked by the time I hit the door.
Out in the hills it is comforting to hit the button and hear the horn honk to confirm I did remember to lock it . That saves the hike down to the truck to check.
Lost in the shopping mall parking lot I can hit the distress button and honk the horn , or unlock the doors to flash the lights as a locator beacon.

I guess I have all sorts of reasons to have the extended range :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I'm with you hammerr! But to each his own. There are many mods and tips here of no general use to me but to those who are looking for "bling" enjoy!!!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow. I was just happy to have it working properly. Guess I am too easily impressed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Gee Brule, Can ya tell I'm an old retired trapper! Looks like I still got it. BTW that thingy on yer foot right now is a #1 1/2 double coilspring. :wink: Knew you wouldn't be able to resist. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Wow. I was just happy to have it working properly. Guess I am too easily impressed.
Well, I think it is an excellent mod and will enjoy doing it once I research soldering for the 100th freakin' time :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Well, I did this tonight walked at least 150ft away and it worked.

But don't the parking lights flash when you lock the doors?

Now mine doesn't I think I might have gotten it a little to hot.

Everything else works though, just my luck.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

When you unlock the doors the parking lights flash. The only signal to locking doors is a horn honk.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Yes they flash when I unlock them, but I thought they flashed when you locked them.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This really works great. Just a run to the store, but now I have at least the same range and maybe slightly better than the 2006 Malibu Maxx.
A HUGE difference. It works like a remote should. Boy I really hated having to be two feet from the truck before it would work. All this time I was thinking weak transmitter batteries :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I always thought it was the batteries too! I tried changing them, no luck. I'll be trying this one today!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I did the mod. I'm not very good at soldering anymore I guess :lol: . No candle wax here to coat it so electrical tape will have to do, guess I'm not very romantic... Works quite nicely though I must say!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
BlackDime
Regular
Regular

Post by BlackDime »

Where are you guys getting 28ga. wire from? I am having a hard time finding it.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I did not use 28ga wire. I used what I had laying around, I believe it was 18ga. Not a huge deal, still worked just tighter fit.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

I went to the junk yard today and scored..big. Picked up an additiional ohc with the works, including the harness. Also picked up a new remote module to do the antenna mod to because I'm a ckicken when it comes to modding the wifes Blazer and having something go wrong.. :lol: So the question is...how do you reprogram yur keyfob to work with a different module??

BTW...got an auto dimming mirror for $5.00.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SleeperSS wrote:...how do you reprogram yur keyfob...
Programming Keyless Remote Transmitters

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

HenryJ wrote:
SleeperSS wrote:...how do you reprogram yur keyfob...
Programming Keyless Remote Transmitters
Thanks...I don't know how I missed that...
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Well I guess I should thank you SleeperSS...

Because of you posting in this thread, it prompted me to FINALLY get around to modding my '03 with this quick and easy mod.

I now have ~250 foot range on the ol' remote. And that's with a battery (on the fob) that is at least 2 years old.

And BTW, for those who were wanting to know where to find 22 ga wire... Look at your local aircraft shop. It is commonly used on almost all aircraft, and anyone whose worked on one (installing radios and such) should have some.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Extending the range of the keyless entry

Post by Walt »

Have any of you had any issues with this mod -- long term?

At post time, I was slightly concerned about the effect such a long/large antenna would have on the receiver. It may be nothing... just worryings of an ex-cellular tech... I'm curious to know if everything is still working fine.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine worked GREAT!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Mine has been working just fine. I did the mod about 3 years ago according to my eariler posts.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Mine seems to work great if I am at certain angles to the truck or if I am above it. My previous apartment I just left I was on the 3rd floor and it would lock or unlock at any time from upstairs, even if it was across the parking lot in the garage. On flat ground it seems that distance is much shorter when facing the truck from the rear. Maybe I need to pull my A pillar apart and check to see if the wire fell at all? Is there a recommended type of wire with a certain insulation that would be optimal for radio receiving use? I just used some cheap hook up wire from Radio Shack. Nothing special.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I finally did this mod awhile back and I must say it is the best "free" mod you can do to your truck. Now my next question is, has anyone ever opened up the "home link" garage door opener and successfully done this as well? When I did the overhead console upgrade I installed the home link as well and it works... to a point. Signal is very weak though, as much as a parked car in front of the garage door can hinder its functionality pretty badly. Seems about 3 truck lengths away is its maximum distance if its a clear shot and you're angled just right. I am planning on opening up the "box" and seeing if there is an antenna circuit like the keyless entry board I can tap into. Hoping to get it to function about the same distance as my normal craftsman garage door opener that came with the unit.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Try adjusting your antenna on your garage. Mine works excellent on my garage and my parents. My garage literally has an opener hanging off the contacts with a wire dangling out the bottom, that wire is the antenna. If its not hanging straight down it will get interference.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ