Airshocks front and rear...

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Airshocks front and rear...

Post by Hartleybl »

ok so i was looking around on ebay.. found this guy that sells gabriel airshocks in all kinds of lengths... what caught my eye is a set of 10.8 compressed 20.8 extended airshocks outer diameter was 2.5 inches thats not much different then the front shocks on a 4x4 s-10 right? the stockers are like 11.?? compressed and 16.?? extended.. and somewhere around 2.?? inches diameter at the plastic dust cover deal.. i wonder if the air shocks would give additional lift to the front like they do on the rear ? just curious.. any else ever tried this or know why it wouldnt work ?? thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Airshocks front and rear...

Post by HenryJ »

Clearance for the upper a-arm and drive axle?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I was also thinking a bigger diameter shock may be a tight fit in the front. I had to jack the front up, so that the arms drooped down, to get the bilsteins in. Not much room up front.

If you are not in a hurry to buy shocks, I can give you a discount code for shockwarehouse.com
They send me emails all the time, but I delete them. I'll get one in the near future.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I really don't think they will fit. You have the tube diameter but not the rubber sock diameter. And it would be hell to adjust them to keep your alignment in check. Every time you change them ( they all leak over time ) so will your alignment...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

i'm not sure if they would fit or clear anything... but they are close to the stock size and they would almost have to be the gabriels because monroes air shocks have the external/visible air bladder that would more likley cause a clearance problem but the gabriel airshocks have a sleeve that the air bladder is in they all most look like a stock front shock with an air fitting sticking out of them... and for the alignment... i would only use them to lift the truck up if i was going off road other wise i'd run the highway with them let down to the minimum 20 psi so if used like that i wouldnt think alignment would be an issue... i'm just trying to figure out something new... i've looked at several forums and havent found anything about it past the idea stage they never said if they actually tried it or not ... but i've seen airshocks on the front of older chevys and fords ... my dad used to have a 78 ford f100 with a 351 clevland and airshocks front and rear and they were used for when we would go hunting he would put about 150-200 psi in them and it would lift the truck enough to get to the back 40 without bottoming out... i just figure if the concept worked on an old heavy fullsize truck.. it would work on an s-10... as long as they will fit :) and i'll try to find the url to the ebay guy that has all of them... i cant remember the part number but he has all sizes for custom apps
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

4wd IFS is way more crucial to ride height then strait axle front ends... You only have a 1.5 inch list to play with before you get to the first mud hole and snap your cv axles.... Just set your ride height and forget it....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Just got an email from shockwarehouse.com

Save $11 on Bilstein Shocks

Get $11 off any Bilstein order over $145

Use Code NOHUMBUG