Cant find replacement Torsion bars. Am I crazy?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Cant find replacement Torsion bars. Am I crazy?

Post by ApproachMedium »

So I just checked on Summit, JC Whitney, Napa online, Rock Auto, and Jegs. I can not find new replacement torsion bars for S10s on any of these sites. I would love to get ZR-2s in my truck if they are available. Does anyone know how to find them new?

Only place i seem to be able to find them is used on ebay. And used doesnt seem like a good idea since its a wear part.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Cant find replacement Torsion bars. Am I crazy?

Post by HenryJ »

Why are you replacing yours?

If it is the weight of that V-8, I would suggest "clocked keys", 2" SL keys, Rough Country lift keys, etc... Add the fullsize bump stops if you have not already. They are suspension dampners and assist the spring in the lower ranges of compression.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

ApproachMedium wrote:So I just checked on Summit, JC Whitney, Napa online, Rock Auto, and Jegs. I can not find new replacement torsion bars for S10s on any of these sites. I would love to get ZR-2s in my truck if they are available. Does anyone know how to find them new?

Only place i seem to be able to find them is used on ebay. And used doesnt seem like a good idea since its a wear part.
Check with LMCtruck.com, they may have replacements in stock.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

His pass side bar is dead so he needs at least 1 replacement.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yea, the pass side is not very happy at all. Looks like LMC only has them for the first gens, which are different.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might have to grab a good used one then?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

*sigh* thats what it looks like. Need to find a pair of ZR2 ones and while I am at it maybe I can find that ZR2 rear that i need.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

what about gmpartsdirect.com ? last time i was looking there they still had them.. 193 per bar all you would need is the part number for the zr2 bars.... maybe a lil more pricey but atleast u know they will be new :)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Another option is going down to a local GM dealership and ask their parts dept to do a national database search of all the dealerships and see if anyone still has some. I've lucked out a few times doing this. The big problem is that the s-series has been out of production for almost 10 years now so parts like springs which didn't need replacing very often were sold off to make room for current production vehicle parts. There are still plenty of s-series in the bone yards so that might ultimately be your only choice.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ended up finding them thru a small local dealer. For $342 a pop for ZR2 models, and $348 for the regular pickup models. They only have them in a parts warehouse in Lansing MI. I am having my buddy work works for GM in the Lansing area to see what he can do for me about this. GM parts direct has them in stock, but of course with no part number listed and wont let you add anything to the darn cart. I ended up putting in the part numbers that the dealership gave me in to gmpartsdirect and they do show in stock for about 191 bucks.

Ill just add that to the list of things I need to buy for my January front suspension overhaul.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

IF anyone wants the part numbers so they can get these thru GMPartsdirect.com I included the RPO codes as well.

15956509 LH 15956510 RH For ZR2 (6WK)

15956507 LH 15956506 RH For reg 4x4 (6WH)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

ApproachMedium wrote:*sigh* thats what it looks like. Need to find a pair of ZR2 ones and while I am at it maybe I can find that ZR2 rear that i need.
Why ZR2 TB's ? Are they interchangeable with Crew cab bars and what's the advantage ? :blink:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

They are directly interchangeable. They support 2071lbs VS 1704lb on the stock units. My crew has a V8 up front so I want the ZR2s to better support the added engine weight. Also since they support more weight they are stiffer, can be cranked up higher and will handle better in cornering.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

mine came with 6wk/7wk 15956509 LH 15956510 RH purple bars 2004 Ls so if ya can find a 2004 crew they prolly have them.. i know mine does
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ApproachMedium wrote:Ended up finding them thru a small local dealer. For $342 a pop for ZR2 models, and $348 for the regular pickup models. ..................
That is stout! I know AVTekk is about as good as you can get (when it comes to our S10s) but, a solid axle modification is beginning to look good when, it comes to prices.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I would do it but being I am not a wheeler just a casual needer of the 4x4 for small adventures and battling my way to work in the snow (the railroad doesnt give a crap lol). I can get them for about 190 bucks a piece from GM parts direct. I think thats what Ill do. I like that I can still drive it like a sports car when its nice out. I have a feeling a SAS is not going to give me that satisfaction. :)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ApproachMedium wrote:...................... I like that I can still drive it like a sports car when its nice out. I have a feeling a SAS is not going to give me that satisfaction. :)
Well, I'd never quite put them into the sports car category but, keeping a lifted SFA between the lines on a straight road can keep the best of sober drivers very busy!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

F9K9 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:...................... I like that I can still drive it like a sports car when its nice out. I have a feeling a SAS is not going to give me that satisfaction. :)
Well, I'd never quite put them into the sports car category but, keeping a lifted SFA between the lines on a straight road can keep the best of sober drivers very busy!

LOL Yea I have only driven one or two SFA vehicles in my lifetime so far. I have driven A LOT of different vehicles, used to drive for a body shop that did dealer and enterprise car repairs. I tend to like to push my personal vehicles to the limits on turns and offramps because I enjoy the roller coaster G force effect lol. Its all about having fun though. Not a lot of straight roads in NJ.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ