4 wheel drive popping sound??

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Countryasian
Regular
Regular

4 wheel drive popping sound??

Post by Countryasian »

Whenever I put my truck into 4x4, I can hear this popping sound, but it's only in 4 wheel drive. It sounds like something's popping or catching on something. I just put new wheel bearings in the front so I'm not sure, help me out yall. Thanks
2001 Chevy S10 Crew LS 4.3 2.5" keys & shackles, 31/10.50s on Cragar Soft 8's, K&N CAI

"Yeah I'm turnin' off of real life drivin' that truck, hittin' easy street in mud tires."
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 4 wheel drive popping sound??

Post by HenryJ »

Could the front drive axle not be engaging properly? The cable is know for corrosion and fraying or stretching. Actuator problems? Vacuum leaks?
If none of that, maybe the halfshafts? Bad CV joints?
Front driveshaft?
If all that checks out, then you move to spiders and the ring gear or carrier bearings.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? Underneath you or more forward?

How bout the T-case? At least in my case I've heard this sound, it's not constant but intermitent while driving in 4HI. I suspect a stretched Tcase chain. Not fun work but I'll be doing come spring when I get my cherokee and can take the S10 off the road and not have to rudh to get it done.
Countryasian
Regular
Regular

Post by Countryasian »

I have a busted cv boot, so I bought both new axles for the front, I'm getting them installed today. Thanks guys.
2001 Chevy S10 Crew LS 4.3 2.5" keys & shackles, 31/10.50s on Cragar Soft 8's, K&N CAI

"Yeah I'm turnin' off of real life drivin' that truck, hittin' easy street in mud tires."
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to let us know if that solves it :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK