manual transfer case swap??

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

manual transfer case swap??

Post by mars2878 »

here's my problem, my 4x4 doesnt work. replaced a bunch of parts, mechanic thinks its an electrical issue.
so my thoughts are to swap to a manual shift transfer case. i tried searching, but all the treads that i found are multiple years old & the links dont work. im looking for a parts lists of what i need to complete this. obviously its the transfer case, shifter, console, linkage. but do i also need the front diff? do i need anything else? any thricks / modifications (besides hole in floor for shifter) to completing this? lastly what year of parts should i be looking for?
a 95 blazer just came in @ the @ the j/y w/ 142k & the 4x4 works.

thanks in advance for any help.
mike
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: manual transfer case swap??

Post by HenryJ »

All the information is going to be very old. Miles did it IIRC. You will be looking for the cable shifter? There was an issue with the VSC if I recall correctly.
Front diff should be fine, although I think Jeremy had to use the posiloc cable shift for it too?
You can check TXZR2.com (our other site) Miles (Jeremy) still has his Blazer, but has moved on to a Ford truck I think. His BlaZ is not currently in service and the transfercase is still out of it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

As far as the front axle goes, you could do a bravada/astro van shaft to eliminate the s10 2 piece deal. Synergy offroad sells a stronger shaft to do it. If you want a stronger transfer case than the 231, you can also look into swapping a 241 from the 88-98 body style trucks, at minimum it requires an adapter, but I don't know what else. I have the part number for the adapter somewhere, I'll find it if you are interested.

Post up what info you do find :)
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Thanks for the help. I searched around txzr2.com @ various threads on the subject. I then joined & asked about any mods needed for the front diff. That was back on 4/17 & still no reply. To me It seems like it is pretty much a dead site. Very few new posts being added.

So I grabbed a 231 t.case, floor shifter, shifter cable, full console (correct dark gray color to match my interior), 3 aluminum skid plates w/ hardware, shift cable bracket & wire harness for console & t.case. I pulled into end, j/y pulled bottom end for me. $160 after tax for everything.

Donor was a 1995 GMC jimmy 2dr w/ 142k mi.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If I recall correctly your only struggle will be figuring out the VSS sensors. I think we worked that out though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Should be a bolt up and go, as far as I know. Did you get the driveshaft? Post lots of pictures please
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

yes i grabbed the front driveshaft & the 2 black torque rods just in case.
will do on the pics, i gotta finish the rear end 1st, then onto the t.case.
i just got 4 brand new to me (still has blue letters) p265/75r16 tires to go on the '00 camaro rims.cost was $60 +tax
Blacknoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Blacknoma »

Any news on this? An updated thread for this swap would be awesome!!!
'00 ZR2 Noma - home-built goodies here and there. Toy
'03 ZR5 S-10 - Stock
'04 4x4 Blazer - t-bar crank to level on 30x9.5's
'83 4x4 IH S1824 - Tow-rig
'13 LiFan 320 - China copy of mini cooper. 1.3l 5-speed, 89hp getting 52mpg
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

I found a thread on an Astro van forum where a guy removed the encoder motor and made a shaft that fit the nub for range selection and ran a cable to the shaft and made a shifter from scratch if I can find it again I'll post a link but I just Bing searched manual transfer case swap for Chevy s 10 and found a link to an Astro van forum showed pics and all the parts
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

Well I'm tired of the push button crap breaking on me so I'm going manual shift on my 233. I went to u pull it.. Found a 91 blazer with a 231 got the shifter and linkage off of it... I'm still modifying it to work on a 2nd Gen but its a good looking strong design my transmission doesn't have the bolt holes for the shifter to bolt up to so that's what's slowing me down.. I've opened the hole up on the t-case arm to fit the 233 the linkage is the perfect length and pin c-2 is the 4low signal wire to make it shift properly in low range according to tccm schematic for an 03 4x4.. I'll keep ya'll updated as I progress ... The 4low signal is a simple pcm ground just like the tow haul mod kinda.
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

It's actually c-1 for s10s... C-2is for Astro van
Blacknoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Blacknoma »

cool. pics when you finish.
'00 ZR2 Noma - home-built goodies here and there. Toy
'03 ZR5 S-10 - Stock
'04 4x4 Blazer - t-bar crank to level on 30x9.5's
'83 4x4 IH S1824 - Tow-rig
'13 LiFan 320 - China copy of mini cooper. 1.3l 5-speed, 89hp getting 52mpg
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

It looks horrible but works great if I can ever find a 96ish model with the manual tcase ill grab the cable shifter and console I just cut a slot in my stock console and used the 91 model shifter and linkage will try and post a pic when I he home
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

WP_20141222_001.jpg
ive seen worse but im still looking for a 2nd gen shifter and console toggle is for 4-low shifting tables
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

should have been installing a 231 in my CC today but, I'm not starting until all parts are in hand. Fastenal ordered the wrong parts for the console so here I am burning a weekend on a already tight (for me) schedule.