EBCM question

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

EBCM question

Post by JaVeRo »

Getting a code C0265 among others. From reading post here it will probably be the Electronic Brake Control Module if I don't find any issue with the ground.

My question, I have another vehicle that I can rob an EBCM from temporarily while I send this one in for a rebuild. Are these programmed specifically by VIN for a certain vehicle or will a replacement work from the same type vehicle and close to the same year model?

Thanks,
James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: EBCM question

Post by ApproachMedium »

Unplug it and keep driving. After having my suspension and AC work done last month mine died and kept draining the battery. I yanked the plug, the ABS light stays on and I have not had any problems driving and stopping. Though, I am driving a heavily modified vehicle so your "mileage" may vary when you press that pedal hard!

When I was looking up my issue with my EBCM I found info online that shows a common problem with these is the ground. If its not the ground, opening the unit up is not too bad but great care must be taken to not bend the PCB when taking the unit apart. Reflowing some cold solider joints fixes most issues, very similar to the wiper pulse board problems. A refurb unit goes for about 100 bucks from doorman on Rockauto.com. Reading the service manual they do not mention anything about the EBCM needing a security recode with the Tech 2 for operation. It just tells you to replace it and reprogram the wheel and tire size in to it, which I believe can be done with almost any advanced scan tool like the snap on or Mac units.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I prefer that the ABS does not work. My issue was with the brake light being on, could I get it inspected. Last year I pulled into the parking lot and cleared the ABS codes then got it inspected. This year the codes would come back as soon as the engine was cranked. Turns out it was for nothing. Got it inspected anyway with the light on. I told the guy that it was the ABS module and that the brakes were mechanically fine. He said not a problem.

And then there is the issue of my wife complaining about the light always being on. It's good to give her something real to complain about sometimes. :D

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

JaVeRo wrote:I prefer that the ABS does not work. My issue was with the brake light being on, could I get it inspected. Last year I pulled into the parking lot and cleared the ABS codes then got it inspected. This year the codes would come back as soon as the engine was cranked. Turns out it was for nothing. Got it inspected anyway with the light on. I told the guy that it was the ABS module and that the brakes were mechanically fine. He said not a problem.

And then there is the issue of my wife complaining about the light always being on. It's good to give her something real to complain about sometimes. :D

James
If the EBCM is on and plugged in and the Brake light is on, and you have plenty of fluid AND the parking brake is off then that means more than likely the dynamic proportioning part of the brake system is not functioning. Taken from the 2001 service manual.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

If the EBCM is on and plugged in and the Brake light is on, and you have plenty of fluid AND the parking brake is off then that means more than likely the dynamic proportioning part of the brake system is not functioning.
I did not know that. I have the 2003 GM service manual but the only thing I have found is this:
"The EBCM detects an ABS malfunction which disables dynamic rear proportioning. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting ilumination"

It may be a question of which comes first. Is the brake light on because of the dynamic rear proportioning malfunction or is the dynamic rear proportioning disabled because of the ABS.

Can you give me a page number or the heading of the chapter where you found that so I can read thru it?

thanks,
James
2006 K2500 5 speed
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

In my book it is page 5-175 under Anti Lock braking. It is under the ABS system Description and Operation part of the book, so after the DTC troubleshooting. It has the description of the DRP system and then it says Brake Warning indicator, where it describes the items that will cause it to illuminate.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

OK, I found the information in the same place you referenced but it's worded a little different. Still not clear to me which comes first. It's obvious I have some more reading to do. I was looking much earlier in the section 5.

thanks,
James
2006 K2500 5 speed
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I think people are confusing the EBCM (which is attached to the ABS pump), which is what the original post is about, and the BCM (under the dash). The BCM is VIN locked and can be reset with the proper software at the dealer. The EBCM if I remember correctly is not VIN locked. I ended up buying a ABS/EBCM unit off ebay to put in a blazer and don't think I had to reset it. I can't remember the code number it had, but it had to deal with the ABS pump relay, which is internal to the EBCM. From what I had read usually when this occurs the EBCM will also short out the ABS pump in the process. $100 later and it was fixed. If I remember correctly it was roughly $800 for the EBCM and $800 for the ABS pump from the dealer, this was about 3 years ago.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good catch. You are right. I was indeed referring the the BCM :oops:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

LoneWolf04 wrote:I think people are confusing the EBCM (which is attached to the ABS pump), which is what the original post is about, and the BCM (under the dash). The BCM is VIN locked and can be reset with the proper software at the dealer. The EBCM if I remember correctly is not VIN locked. I ended up buying a ABS/EBCM unit off ebay to put in a blazer and don't think I had to reset it. I can't remember the code number it had, but it had to deal with the ABS pump relay, which is internal to the EBCM. From what I had read usually when this occurs the EBCM will also short out the ABS pump in the process. $100 later and it was fixed. If I remember correctly it was roughly $800 for the EBCM and $800 for the ABS pump from the dealer, this was about 3 years ago.

Yea, the book does say though that wheel size needs to be corrected. Im sure plugging one in from another truck will just work, but to get proper calibration per GM and what they want, you have to set the wheel and tire size. But it will work plug and play either way with or without doing that. Considering most of these 2000 and later S10 trucks pretty much came with the same tire sizes on the 4x4 trucks I cant see this even being an issue.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

The vehicle with the EBCM problem is the Blazer (3.42 gears) and the one I was wanting to rob the module from is one of the crew cabs with 3.73 gears so programming the ratio would probably be necessary. If I get the new axle shafts in the 01 crewcab this weekend then my wife can drive it while I work on the blazer. I can send in the EBCM to be rebuilt while I replace the heater core, fix the exhaust leak, replace the o2 sensors, and find out which bearing is making the roaring noise. Oh what fun it is to be married to a mail carrier.

Thanks for the help.
James
2006 K2500 5 speed
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Where are you sending your EBCM to be rebuilt?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Does the EBCM store the gear ratio? I thought all that was saved in the PCM.
I say swap. No worries. I am thinking that the EBCM only looks at differences in the wheel sensor speeds to use in determine where to send the saved energy for the ABS system. As mentioned before the circuit board may have bad cold solder joints. The other failure is the motors. Barring those , debris in the system. Without the ability to cycle the ABS system and flush the debris out, the average weekend mechanic may not have the tool needed to clean one up.

What would I do? A very good fluid change. Bleed all of the system very good. Change the fluid until every wheel bleeds clean. A common problem can be just old fluid and debris in the system. Once that is done and the system still shows failures, then , swap the assemblies. If it works , great. If not install a remanufactured unit.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

EBCM does not store gear ratios, only the tire/wheel size as seen in the config pages for it on the Tech 2 which is done at the PCM and I guess passed along to the EBCM. Seeing how the service manual says it has to be re-inputted when the module is replaced leads me to think that until you command the PCM to "save" the size that you choose via a Tech 2 or any programmer with wheel and tire adjustments, only then does it pass that info to the EBCM so that it can properly adjust the info received from the 3 speed sensors.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

ApproachMedium wrote:Where are you sending your EBCM to be rebuilt?
I am planning on sending it to Module Master unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Thanks. Looks like they can do clusters too. $130 bucks isnt bad because a doorman rebuild module is 183 bucks plus a 100 dollar core charge from Rockauto.com. I am curious though if they will send me new screws with the replacement unit. Mine are shot and will need to be drilled out. The service manual also says to replace the screws when replacing the module.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ