DRL, AHL, and quadbeams all working together!!!

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

DRL, AHL, and quadbeams all working together!!!

Post by HenryJ »

cknaffle on ZR2.com wrote:After hours and hours of trial and error and searching through tons of web pages, I found the combination that works for everything on my truck so I have total control of my lights. This post will tell you how to override your AHL (automatic headlights that come on in the dark), override your DRL (daytime running lights that come on when you put your truck in gear) and still retain your quadbeams (high and low beam headlights lit at the same time when the brights are on).

I am not taking credit for any of this work, I just want to put it all in one spot so it is easier to find. This information has been posted numerous times by numerous people, so don’t let me step on anybody’s toes here. Some of the old posts on this information seem to be lost and have inactive links in them, so hopefully this post will cover it all.

First, the quadbeam mod.

If your DRL are low beams and you want to just have quadbeams, and nothing else, simply take out your driver’s side headlight assembly, tap into the yellow wire with another wire about 12” or so long, put a ring terminal on the end of the wire, and ground it (either via a self-tapping screw or using an existing bolt). It’s that easy.

If your DRL are high beams, then go here http://www.s-10crewcab.net/HenryJ/quad.html and follow the instructions to wire in a relay.

Second, the DRL disable mod.

On older trucks, all you have to do is yank a fuse out. Can’t get much easier than that. Sorry, I don’t know which one, but your owner’s manual should tell you.

On the 1998 – 2000 trucks, go here http://www.geocities.com/zq8gmcsonoma/drl.html and follow the instructions. All you have to do is remove a relay and bend a tab back – about a 2 minute job at the most. My word of advice, when you try to take that relay out, use a large pair of channel lock pliers to get a hold of the base of it. It comes out very hard.

On 2000 – current trucks, go here http://66.221.218.45/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 2;t=000074 or here http://www.higherpowered.net/zr2/docs/drl2.html It’s as easy as pulling the carpet back, finding a little relay taped to the wiring harness behind the brake pedal, and cutting the center yellow wire. Credit for this one goes to ZR2.com member James C. Thanks! If you want to be able to turn your DRL disable mod on and off, then just interrupt that yellow wire with a switch and put the switch somewhere accessible. If you want to get really fancy, then you can use that yellow wire coming out of the relay as a signal wire for another relay, then tap into the circuit for your parking lights, fog lights, or accessory lights. I’m not going there, I just hit the switch when I want them on.

Now the complication that held me up for so long. If you have quad beams and do the DRL mod, it will not work. It was as if you could only have one of the other. Here http://66.221.218.45/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... p=1#000000 is the solution, as posted by ZR2.com member Jacob. Thanks! Buy yourself a relay, some splice connectors, and some female spade connectors. Pull out the driver’s side headlight and connect your relay like this. (85)is triggered by the high beam positive (green/white wire). The relay supply (87) goes to ground. The relay load (30) goes to the low beam yellow wire. The other relay trigger contact (86) must go to the high beam negative (purple wire) and NOT to ground.

Third, the AHL mod.

Take the speaker cover off the speaker on the dash on the passenger’s side. You’ll see a little sensor there. Take the wires off the sensor (a little clip holds it in place), and put a 680 ohm resistor in there (one wire from each side of the resistor goes in each wire’s hole. You can get the resistor at Radio Shack for under $1.00. This tricks the truck into thinking it is light out all the time.

I’ve seen the question asked before. WHY? For me, the main reason for the DRL & AHL mod is because I run Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which are about $20 each. They put out amazing amounts of light, but they only last “up to” a year. I have yet to see a year out of any of them because they are always on with my DRL, and when I use the remote start on my truck (or whenever you start your truck at night), as soon as the ignition is activated by the remote, the AHL circuit turns the lights on (during the 3 second delay while the fuel pump is building pressure), then the motor starts while the lights are on. This little voltage flicker is not good for the bulbs at all. The reason I did the quadbeam mod is simple – MORE LIGHT AT NIGHT! Just don’t be an @ss and leave your bright on when you are passing people. [NoNo]

Let me say that I think everybody should still drive with some sort of light on. I personally run my parking lights and my factory fog lights during the day. I just like to be able to turn what lights on I want, when I want to do it. [Big Grin]
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Nice! my next mod.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I did the DRL mod and it was really easy. I just bent over a pin and done! Still debating whether to do AHL and Quad beams yet... The link for the quadbeams doesn't work is there another thread that describes the process?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I did my quadbeams a little while back and figured I'd mention that either my setup is different than some other s-10s or something. When looking at the mod page it states to ground 87 and 86. This did not work for me and I had low beam drl. I had to connect 86 (relay activate) to the high beam negative wire (purple) instead of to ground. I'm not sure if this should go on the mod page or not just figured I'd mention it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For low beam DRL all you need to do is ground the yellow wire. You only need a relay for highbeam DRL, and wire it as directed. The purple wire will not work for reduced intensity highbeam DRL.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Ohh ok so now I think I get it. I had disabled my DRL altogether. So I had to connect it to the purple wire to get my DRL disable and quads working. If I wanted reduced intensity high beam DRL than the initial mod would work. The way it was working my DRL was back on, and low beam until I changed it to the purple wire instead of ground.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I guess I had misread the mod page as it states "In order to have the DRL be high beams only on a reduced intensity high beam DRL system, a relay must be added."

I was looking to keep my DRL disabled and the above posted method works with the purple wire.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Oilcountry

Re: DRL, AHL, and quadbeams all working together!!!

Post by Oilcountry »

Is it at all possible to get the link for the Hi beam DRL mod working again? I have a issue with my headlights after using this mod and cant find a working link for it anywhere.

Thanks, Brady
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Quad beam mod link fixed. It is also on our website mod pages.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

just did this and i love it. cost $10. tahnks HJ for the info
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An oldie but a goodie. I hope you did it right the first time and soldered the connections. I had to go back and do that :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I hope you did it right the first time and soldered the connections. I had to go back and do that
i must of missed that part. i used the splice connectors and heatshrink tubing/electrical tape to do the connections. i did it the same way you posted how to do it in the MOD section.
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those scotch lock connectors are a real problem. I guess the mod page needs updating if it says to use them. Sorry.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

They will work for awhile but, they always seem to eventually fail. Now, that I can finally solder, I am going back over several electrical mods and doing them properly.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I guess the mod page needs updating if it says to use them. Sorry.
its fine, i still appreciate the info
Now, that I can finally solder, I am going back over several electrical mods
ill be doing the same thing as soon as it cools down, its 100 degrees here right now.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

just wenrt out to solder my connections, took about 10 minutes. but i see what you guys mean by the splice connectors being crappy. i barely touched one and a wire came lose out of it
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

dont yell to much, but i have a Q lol. the other day my quad beams quit working, only my high beams came on. so today i pulled the headlight asembly and everything is wried correctly, no connections came loose or anything. what so you think it could be? should i try replacing the relay first?

thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swap the relay, if that doesn't work check your connections. Make darn sure that ground has a clean contact patch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

In regards to the DRL disable,I have looked on my "02" for the relay under the brake pedal, under the carpet,etc etc. I have found no such relay anywhere in the general location . I did find a plug deep under the carpet taped to the main harness against the floorpan but it was only a 12 wire ground junction with a jumper pin cap :? . I have searched and searched but obviously am blind to the relay or its in another location :?: .My "02" has a build date of 4/02,maybe this relay was relocated to another area or even deleted . :surrender: any help is appreciated, thanks, Keith
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rockinjranch wrote:In regards to the DRL disable,I have looked on my "02" for the relay under the brake pedal, under the carpet,etc etc. I have found no such relay anywhere in the general location ....
cknaffle wrote:On older trucks, all you have to do is yank a fuse out....
Did you try pulling the fuse?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

No , I didn't try pulling the fuse because I followed the instructions at the beginning of the post" 2000 and newer trucks" however I didn't realize that it was meant only for the ZR2 trucks until today. :oops: I did pull the relay but that only gave me one high beam at night :roll: now ill try the fuse,lol I got the other mods done tho, love it! thanks for all you do and for putting up with us dumbarsses!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are no stupid questions...only stupid people who do not ask questions :)

Let us know what you get figured out. I never did the DRL disable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

ok last night after work,I looked for a DRL fuse both in the interior and under hood fuse centers. there is no fuse labeled specifically for the DRL's just the DRL relay in the under hood center. removeing it gives only one high beam at night.
I have read a post somewhere about bending over a terminal on this relay but cant remember which terminal,(have read so many my eyes go blurry) I think it was term.86 ,but it seems to me that would be equal to removing the relay all together , possibly not if it is a five terminal relay with a n.c. circuit between 30 & 87a, instead of a four terminal w/o 87a. ill check at lunchtime.
Heres the deal for new readers ,2002 S10 cc ,high beam low intensity DRL's. quad mod works fine, AHL defeat works fine, I want to disable the DRL's altogether but not sure of the proper procedure. any help is appreciated, thanks, Keith
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like disabling activation might be the best option? If removing it is not working you still need the NC ( Normally Closed ) circuit completed. A small jumper wire could be made with male spade terminals on each end of a small piece of wire. That could be installed in place of the relay, or just used for testing.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

have relay in hand, it is indeed a five terminal with a 87a to 30 n.c. circuit which must be maintained at dark during normal high beam function for both highneam's to light . during daytime and DRL function, this circuit is broken, effectively turning on the DRL's.
if my thinking is correct,which is sometimes questionable, bending over either coil pin (85,86) should do the trick, or as you said ,a jumper between the sockets for 87a & 30 with the relay removed completely
ill find out after work when I get home,ill post results .
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

Problem solved,DRL's are now disabled. removed relay and put a jumper wire between sockets for terminals 87a & 30 to maintain the closed contact of the relay, now I understand when it was said to bend over a relay terminal but the thread I read some where didn't say which, it must be either terminal for the coil (85 or 86) to prevent relay operation. thanks for all your help! Keith
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rockinjranch wrote:...removed relay and put a jumper wire between sockets for terminals 87a & 30 to maintain the closed contact of the relay...
:rock:
Awesome! Glad you figured it out. I am sure that will help someone else some day :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
CGRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CGRob »

Glad you figured it out Keith. Now to install those Mercedes wanna-be LED DRL's from Walmart......... Not. :lol: