Squeaks in the Front End

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

blipside

Squeaks in the Front End

Post by blipside »

Not sure exactly what to call this other than squeaking. I just got the truck & didn't notice it until I drove home & got out. When the truck shifts it squeaks. I thought it was a sign that the shocks needed to be replace, so I did that. It is still happening. Not sure if this is a sign of some grommets going bad or if something needs to be greased. I don't notice the noise in the back, just the front. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Squeaks in the Front End

Post by HenryJ »

Take a can of silicone lubricant and hit s few spots to see if it goes away. The sway bar bushings, torsion bar dog bones, sway bar end links, torsion bar sockets.

Usually it is the torsion bar sockets that need to be lubed. Spray grease , superlube, or fluid film work pretty well.

Now that all said check the idler are, pitman arm, tierod ball joints, and a-arm ball joints. Any of those can make noise and are items that are notorious for wearing out.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blipside

Post by blipside »

Thanks for the info. Is this a sign that the bushings need to be replaced?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has not been my experience that the bushings make noise that resembles squeaking. Clunking when they are toast. Ball joints and wheel bearings might lead to squeaking either from themselves or the brake drag in the case of a wheel bearing.

Most generally it is just the torsion bar sockets. They do need to be lubed with spray grease from time to time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Check the control arm bushings. My truck being 12 years old and 105k miles over the summer they were dry rotted badly. Ended up replacing the bushings with moog problem solvers and while having the torsion bars out used white lithium paste to lube the sockets. The bushings really helped the feel of the truck out. Didn't realize how much sag was beig caused by them until installing with new ones. Squeak went away as well.